It wasn't my intention but I may have struck breakfast salad gold with this one. How do I know? Because it's the first thing I've reached for three mornings in a row now. I suppose it makes sense. Several breakfast regulars are present: grapefruit, yogurt, avocado. Usually mornings find me stuffing one of these three in to my bag hoping it doesn't burst/explode/get smushed on my trek into the city. But together in a whole-grain studded salad the whole lot fits neatly into tupperware and becomes quite commuter friendly. That's worth waking up for if you ask me.
The prep for this, or any grain salad really, involves some legwork but the results are worth it. Besides being heartier than a green salad, cooked grains do a fabulous job at sopping up dressing, especially if left to refrigerate overnight. Here I used both quinoa and farro because I had them on hand. There's no magic to this combo though. You could skip one to simplify or swap in wheat berries, bulgur (cracked wheat), brown rice, or barley.
A few notes on cooking these grains. There are as many methods for cooking quinoa as there are grains in your pot. For this salad I used a 1:1.25 grain to water ratio and followed these tips from Food52. The results were perfectly fluffy. As for farro, I used to cook it as you do rice. But then I got hip to treating it like pasta and have never turned back. Simply cook at a rolling boil until it reaches your desired al dente-ness. Guess work eliminated!
Grain, Grapefruit, + Avocado Salad
- 1 cup cooked farro (1/2 cup dry)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup dry)
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sections removed from pith (Don't worry about keeping the sections in tact. You'll want to tear into bite-sized pieces for the salad.)
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 4 scallions chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1/2 head small radicchio
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
Lime Yogurt Dressing
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I prefer full fat but use what you like or have on hand)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- Cook your grains and allow to cool.
- Make your dressing. Whisk together yogurt, honey, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add olive oil and blend until smooth. I like to shake everything together in a ball jar - it makes for simple storage.
- Assemble your salad. Tear radicchio leaves into your serving bowl.
- Add cooled grains, chopped scallions, and parsley.
- Add dressing and toss. (You likely will not need it all. Save the rest for another use.)
- Taste grains for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper as necessary.
- If you're preparing the salad to eat later, stop here. Cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve add grapefruit and avocado and toss gently. Enjoy!
Want new posts delivered hot + fresh to your inbox? Subscribe here.